Bidens Specific Advice
• Our plants are supplied ‘pinched’ This means the central growing tip has already been pinched out, with the side shoots breaking into growth. This will produce bushier and more even growth.
• It is best to remove any buds that appear in the first few weeks of growth. This will result in more of the plant’s energy being diverted into producing a strong, bushy framework.
• Keep the compost moist at all times, but not waterlogged. Bidens are quite tough plants, if they do dry out between waterings they should recover after a good soaking although this does tend to lead to a yellowing of the leaves.
• Grow your plants on in their pots for about 6-8 weeks. They will benefit from feeding during this period starting 3 weeks after potting, then weekly after that. A general balanced liquid feed is fine.
• You can now plant your Bidens into their final container. They are great in mixed hanging baskets and containers. Planted at the front, they make a great trailing display. Alternatively, 3 of 5 plants together in one hanging basket will provide a brilliant sunny show all summer.
• Keep feeding weekly, and as with all flowering basket plants, keep dead-heading the faded flowers to maintain vigour. Ideal growing conditions are a temperature of around 15°C, in a well lit area, avoiding direct sunlight.
General Growing Advice
Using a good quality multi-purpose compost, pot up your plugs into 10cm pots or 6 cell trays. Once your plug plants have been potted on and labelled, water them in well and grow on for around 6-8 weeks. Water once the compost starts to dry out.
If preferred you can pot on the plugs into hanging baskets, flower bags or pots. Add a slow release plant food like Miracle-Gro Slow Release All Purpose Plant Food to your compost which will give extra nutrients for strong and healthy plant growth.
Keep plants frost free until mid/late May and then harden off before being placed in their final positions when the risk of frost has passed in your area.
Water as necessary giving a liquid feed such as Neudorff Organic Plant Feed as instructed throughout the growing season.
***For packs of 20/40 plug plants gently remove the small plugs from the tray by pushing up from the bottom using a pencil.