Lettuce are quick growing and flourish in window boxes and pots or where space is an issue, and our range of ‘cut and come again’ Simply Salad Leaves do really well in hanging baskets too.
Within a few weeks you will be eating your own fresh salad crops.
- When your lettuce plug plants arrive, water them from the base by placing them on a shallow tray of tepid water for a few minutes.
- Pot up the plugs into 6 or 9 cell pack plant trays or individually into 10cms pots in fresh multi- purpose compost. Water in and place in a warm spot on a windowsill or a warm spot in the greenhouse.
- Cover with fleece overnight if excessive cold weather or a frost is forecast.
- Grow on until the roots are just coming through the bottom of the trays/pots.
- Harden off and plant out in rows if the risk of frost has passed in your area.
- Growbags are perfect for lettuce growing. You can probably use 4 to each growbag.
*If you have a tunnel cloche, either glass or Perspex, lettuce can be planted into the ground a bit earlier as they will be protected from the harshest weather conditions.
Cutting the base off large clear plastic bottles works really well to use as individual covers for plants. This will protect them and keep them warm. On fine days you can unscrew the lids for ventilation.
* Slug and snail warning…. Pop some slug pellets down around young plants to avoid them being eaten, and check over every day. If you prefer a more organic approach, try putting a ring of sand/grit around your plants as they prefer not to travel across rough surfaces, but again check every day.